Registration & Screening Requirements

All volunteers must be registered members. Volunteers who handle troop money and members personal information must also be screened.

Required Courses

All volunteers who will meet outside the meeting place for an outing, short trip, overnight or longer trip and who will help girls organize, plan, and budget for the outing or trip must take the following courses. 

Before planning or taking an extended trip of 3 nights or more, then in additon to the above required courses, also take the in-person Extended Troop Travel course.

If your trip will be a camping trip. You must have someone who has taken the troop camping certification course.

Recommended Courses

Troop Trip Organizer

Thank You So Much for Volunteering to be a Girl Scouts of Northern California Troop Trip Organizer.


What Do Troop Trip Organizers Do?

Assists girls in planning, budgeting, and organizing short outings, overnights, or longer trips. Makes reservations, plans logistics, organizes drivers, first aiders, and chaperones and files any necessary paperwork before the trip.

Who Can Be A Troop Trip Organizer?

Any registered and screened adult 18 or older, female or male,  (21 or over to be a troop driver) who has completed the following courses: Volunteering For Girl Scouts, Safety-Wise, Outings, Short Trips and Overnights (for trips lasting 2 nights or fewer) or Extended Troop Travel (for trips lasting 3 nights or more). If your trip will involve camping or cooking outdoors/sleeping outdoors, then you must complete the Troop Camping Certification Course.

How Do I Become A Troop Trip Organizer?

If you haven't already done so, complete volunteer screening and become a registered member, then complete the required courses (course link to the right). If you would like to find out how to volunteer for this role, please call 1-800-447-4475 ext. 3091 or complete the online interest form.

Resources for Troop Trip Organizer:

Forms For Troop Travel

Additional Forms For Extended Travel

Important Information for Troop Drivers

California Car Seat Laws:

  • Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
  • Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
  • Children under 12 must be secured by a safety belt in the back seat. They may not ride in the front seat due to air bags.
  • All passenger must be secured by a safety belt in accordance with California's Mandatory Seat Belt law. 

Rented or Chartered Vehicles:

Trip Folders: Troop drivers and chaperones should carry a trip folder on any trip in case of any accident or other emergency, along with a first aid kit. Other items to have in the trip folder include:

  • Health history forms forms for girls and adults in the car
  • Permission forms for girls in the car
  • Troop roster including cell phones of all drivers on trip and contact information for parents of girls in the car
  • Driving directions/map
  • Tickets or passes, money for bridge tolls or to pay girls' expenses
  • Council emergency card with emergency phone number

First Aid Kits:

  • Every car should be equipped with a standard first aid kit. Refer to the GSNorcal Health and Safety Plan for a list of suggested items.