Registration & Screening Requirements

All volunteers must be registered members. Troop drivers, drive and supervise girls and must also be screened.

Required Course

Troop Driver

Thank You for Volunteering to be a Troop Driver!




What Does A Troop Driver Do?

Troop drivers drive girls and adults on field trips, outings, and trips and ensure that the proper safety procedures are all followed while transporting girls.

Who Can Be A Troop Driver?

Any registered and screened adult 21 or older, female or male, who has a valid driver's licence, and a registered, insured vehicle that is in good working condition with the required number of seatbelts for all passengers and who has completed the following courses: Volunteering For Girl Scouts, Safety-Wise.

How Do I Become A Troop Driver?

If you haven't already done so, complete volunteer screening and become a registered member, then complete the required courses (course link to the right). If you would like to find out how to volunteer for this role, please call 1-800-447-4475 ext. 3091 or complete the online interest form.

Resources for Troop Drivers:

Important Information for Troop Drivers

California Car Seat Laws:

  • Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
  • Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
  • Children under 12 must be secured by a safety belt in the back seat. They may not ride in the front seat due to air bags.
  • All passenges must be secured by a safety belt in accordance with California's Mandatory Seat Belt law. 

Rented or Chartered Vehicles:

Trip Folders: Troop drivers and chaperones should carry a trip folder on any trip in case of any accident or other emergency, along with a first aid kit. Other items to have in the trip folder include:

  • Health history forms forms for girls and adults in the car
  • Permission forms for girls in the car
  • Troop roster including cell phones of all drivers on trip and contact information for parents of girls in the car
  • Driving directions/map
  • Tickets or passes, money for bridge tolls or to pay girls' expenses
  • Council emergency card with emergency phone number

First Aid Kits:

  • Every car should be equipped with a standard first aid kit. Download the GSNorCal Health & Safety Plan for a list of suggested first aid kit items.