Registration & Screening Requirements

All volunteers must be registered members. Troop camping certified adults supervise and sleep overnight with girls, handle troop money, members' personal information, drive girls, and must be screened.

Required Courses

Volunteering For Girl Scouts and Safety-Wise are online courses, while Troop Camping Certification is an in-person course.

Recommended Courses
Other Important Information and Resources!

A first aider is required whenever troops will cook or sleep outdoors. Make sure you have someone in your troop that has a current First Aid/CPR certification and who has taken the online Girl Scout First Aider course. Click the button below to learn more!

All drivers who drive girls to the camping trip must follow the guidelines and procedures as outlined on the troop driver volunteer page.

Download the Safety Activity Checkpoints (SAC) for outdoor cooking and camping before your trip. Review the safety guidelines with girls and chaperones before the trip.

Looking for fun things to do on your camping adventure? Download these valuable outdoor resources.

East Bay/Solano
Serving: Alameda, Contra Costa,  & Solano counties.
Mary Holzheimer at or (800) 447-4475 ext. 8003
South Bay/Peninsula Area
Serving: San Francisco, Santa Clara & San Mateo counties.
Janice Stone at or
(800) 447-4475 ext. 8007
North Central Area

Serving: Butte, Glenn, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama & West Trinity counties.
Kristen Pierce at or
(800) 447-4475 ext. 3025

North Coast Area
Serving: Marin, Napa, Sonoma, Lake, & Mendocino counties.
Deborah Holden at or (800) 447-4475 ext. 1104
Redwoods Area

Serving: Humboldt and Del Norte counties.
Kathy Johanson at or (800) 447-4475 ext. 3010

Troop Camping Certified Adult

Thank You for Volunteering to be a Girl Scouts of Northern California Troop Camping Certified Adult!


What Does A Troop Camping Certified Adult Do?

Assists girls in planning, budgeting, and organizing the troop camping experience. Accompanies girls on the camping adventure to make sure the trip is both safe and fun.

Who Can Be A Troop Camping Certified Adult?

Any registered and screened adult 18 or older, female or male, who completes the required courses: Volunteering For Girl Scouts, Safety-Wise and Troop Camping Certification and who will assist girls in the planning, budgeting, and organizing the camping trip and will go on the camping trip to ensure safety guidelines are followed.

How Do I Become A Troop Camping Certified Adult?

If you haven't already done so, complete volunteer screening and become a registered member, then complete the Safety-Wise course, and register for an in-person troop camping certification course. If you would like to find out how to volunteer for this role, please call 1-800-447-4475 ext. 3091 or complete the online interest form.

When Is A Troop Camping Certified Adult Needed?

If your troop will either cook OR sleep outdoors (or in shelters without electricity or indoor plumbing), then at least one troop adult who will accompany the troop on the camping trip and who will be involved in the planning process with the girls must take this course.

Tell Me More About The Troop Camping Certification Course

 Emphasis is on how to teach skills to girls and prepare them for their outdoor experiences, as well as health and safety concerns when camping in a group. It is recommended to take this course 4 months in advance of your camping trip. Completing the online courses: Volunteering For Girl Scouts and Safety Wise course are pre-requisites. A non-refundable course fee covers the cost of food and materials. This class may be offered as a one, two, or three part class, and class lengths vary due to the optional overnight experiences. Contact your local office volunteer resources director if you have any questions about which class is right for you. If you wish to take this training with your daughter, please see the description for Troop Camping Certification Plus. Find a course near you.

Resources for Troop Camping Certified Adults:

What If I Have An Extensive Camping Background? Do I Still Need To Take Troop Camping Certification?

Troop Camping Certification Equivalency

The equivalency is offered as a challenge to the Troop Camping Certification Course. Certification is granted to individuals who demonstrate the necessary knowledge and skills to work with a Girl Scout group in planning, preparing for, and carrying out outdoor camping adventures.


The equivalency consists of a self-assessment, written exam, and may include a skills demonstration session. Below are the steps for completing the equivalency.

1. Self-Assessment

Review the following list of competencies listed here to determine whether or not you should enroll in the equivalency. If you possess the knowledge and skills outlined, proceed to step 2.

  • Girl Scout rules and procedures pertaining to troop camping
  • Girl readiness for camping
  • Progression in the outdoors
  • Planning with girls
  • Leave No Trace principles
  • Safety practices for cooking, fires, dish & hand washing, and fuels

2. Written exam

Contact the director of volunteer resources in the office closest to you and request the equivalency exam. The exam can be emailed or mailed to you. Complete the exam within two weeks of receipt and return by email or mail to the director of volunteer resources.

3. Approval Process

You must score at least 85% and not miss any serious safety questions.
If necessary complete the 1 ½ hour skills demonstration or be asked to attend the in-person Troop Camping Certification class.