First Aiders Need to be Screened and Registered Members

All volunteers must be registered members. First Aiders handle members' personal information (health history forms) and must complete screening.

Required Courses

Troop First Aiders must be currently CPR/First Aid certified. GSNorCal offers several courses throughout the year. Click on the link below to find a course.


In addition to having a current CPR/First Aid Certification. Girl Scout first aiders must also take the Girl Scout First Aider online course to learn about GSNorCal safety policies, procedures, and treatment protocols.

The Troop First Aider should be familiar with the contents of the GSNorCal Health & Safety Plan and have a copy with the first aid kit whenever they serve as a Girl Scout first aider.


First Aid & First Aiders

Thank You So Much for Volunteering to be a Girl Scouts of Northern California First Aider!




What Do First Aiders Do?

Provide first aid as needed during troop/group activities. Must have a current First Aid/CPR certification and have completed GSNorCal online First Aider course.

Who Can Be A First Aider?

Any adult 18 or older, female or male, who has taken Girl Scout-approved first aid and CPR training that includes specific instructions for child CPR and who has also completed the online Girl Scout First Aider course. The following healthcare providers may serve as first-aiders: physician, physician's assistant, nurse practioner, registered nurse, licensed practical nurse, paramedic, military medic, and emergency medical technician. Medical professionals should take the online Girl Scout First Aider course to become familiar with GSNorCal procedures and guidelines.

How Do I Become A First Aider?

  • Complete Volunteer Screening
  • Become a Registered Member
  • Take a First Aid/CPR course (if you are not currently certified)
  • Take the online Girl Scout First Aider course to learn about GSNorCal specific procedures and protocols.
  • If you would like to find out how to volunteer for this role, please call 1-800-447-4475 ext. 3091 or complete the online interest form. If you are interested in becoming a first aider for an event, check out the event first aider page.

When is a First Aider Needed?

First aiders are needed for certain Girl Scout activities. Refer to the "prepare for emergencies" section of the Safety Activity Checkpoints to determine when a first aider is needed and the certification that is needed. All activities that have a safety activity checkpoint require a first aider with the exception of product sales, online computer use, and most arts and crafts activities. First aiders are not required at regular troop/group meetings, although a first aid kit must be present at all troop/group meetings and on all outings. It is a good idea to have someone who is prepared to handle emergency situations. Always refer to the Safety Activity Checkpoints for the activity that you will be doing for specific first aider requirements and safety guidelines.

What CPR/First Aid Courses Are Approved by GSNorCal?

For many activities, Girl Scouts recommends that at least one adult volunteer be first aid/CPR certified. Volunteers can take advantage of IN-PERSON first aid/CPR training offered by chapters of the American Red Cross, National Safety Council, EMP America, or American Heart Association. Contact before accepting other training organizations.

What Certification Does GSNorCal Offer?

We offer several first aid/CPR courses throughout our council. Check for course availability on the training calendar or advertised on the council's Monday Mailing e-newsletter. We offer American Red Cross certification which consists of two modules; 2 hours of adult and child CPR and 3 hours of general emergency first aid skills. Certification is valid for 2 years. The non-refundable fee of $50 for this course covers materials, certification fee and supplies. The fee is required when you register. Some offerings split this training between 2 sessions; you must attend both sessions to be certified. Please wear comfortable clothing and be prepared (bring a towel or mat) to spend some time sitting or laying on the floor. For a full day course, it is suggested that you bring a beverage and a lunch or snack.

First Aider or Wilderness First Aider?

The levels of first aid required for any activity take into account both how much danger is involved and how remote the area is from emergency medical services.

  • If access to emergency medical services (EMS) is LESS than 30 minutes away then you need First Aid/CPR certification
  • If access to emergency medical services (EMS) is MORE than 30 minutes away then you need Wilderness First Aid Certification

Wilderness First Aid

Wilderness First Aid courses are advanced first aid courses that include training on remote-assessment skills, as well as the emergency first-aid response, including evacuation techniques, to use when EMS is not readily available. If any part of the activity is located 30 minutes or more from emergency medical services, ensure the presence of a first-aider with Wilderness First Aid certification.

First Aid Kits

Make sure that a standard first aid kit is available at every troop meeting and accompanies you on every activity or outing. When traveling a first aid kit must be in every vehicle. Refer to the GSNorCal Health and Safety Plan for Activities and Events for a list of recommended first aid supplies and first aid protocols.

Emergency Management Plan

All Girl Scout first aiders should be familiar with the council emergency management plan and have the council emergency cards on hand. You should also refer to the Council Resource Guide - chapter 4 and have a copy of the GSNorCal Health & Safety Plan on hand at all activities and events where you are serving as a first aider.

Resources for First Aiders: